Process of Getting Demolition Contractor License

A Demolition Contractor license is required of anyone removing structural elements for the purpose of removing the entire structure. This license must be renewed annually and successful applications must specify up-to-date insurance and tax compliance.

Class A: License class allows for the complete demolition of any building.

Class B: License class allows for the complete demolition of a building not exceeding 3 stories, a maximum height of 40 feet and covering a maximum lot space of 10,000 square feet.

Learn more about demolition contractor and demolition tools

Requirements to obtain a Demolition Contractor’s License include:

  • A Business Income and Receipts Tax Number and a Commercial Activity License.
  • Identification of one or more Site Safety Manager(s) responsible for supervision of demolition projects.

                1. Proof of completion of an OSHA 30 Construction Safety training course (or equivalent certified by the Department) within 5 years of application date must be submitted for each named Site Safety Manager. Please visit the Department of Licenses and Inspections website for a complete listing of alternative certified safety training courses.

  • Identification of one or more Demolition Supervisor(s) responsible for the development of site safety plans.

                1. Proof of successful completion of the Demolition Class A or Class B Examination in the applicable category for the named Demolition Supervisor(s) within twelve months of application date. Please visit International Code Council website for examination information.

                2. Need a study guide for Demolition Class A and Class B examinations? Get the free Demolition Contractor Guide. NOTE: Test takers can only bring a bound copy of the manual – obtained by contacting – into the test site.

  • Submission of a License bond in the amount of $25,000 for a Class A License or $10,000 for a Class B License submitted on Form # 81-1010 A (Class A) or Form # 81-1010 B (Class B), bearing an original seal. The bond shall be issued by a surety company holding a certificate of authority to transact business in Pennsylvania, having a minimum surety underwriting limitation of $1,000,000.
  • Proof of insurance in an amount determined by the Office of Risk Management in the following areas must be submitted annually:

Worker’s Compensation and Employer’s Liability
                   1. Worker’s Compensation: Statutory Limits

                   2. Employer’s Liability: $100,000 each accident; $100,000 each employee; $500,000 policy limit

  • Comprehensive General Liability (Including products and completed operations)

                   1. Minimum limit of $2,000,000 per Occurrence

                   2. Please note the City of Philadelphia must be named Additional Insured and Certificate Holder in order for the Demolition Contractor License application to be approved.

  • Automobile Liability Insurance

                   1. Minimum limit of $300,000

                   2. If this is a corporation and the employees utilize their own vehicles for work then the corporation must have automobile liability for hired and non-owned autos in the amount of $300,000.


Failure to maintain proper insurance, and to provide proof of continued coverage by submitting renewal certificates to the Department, will result in the revocation or non-renewal of your license.

Cost: A non-refundable filing fee of $20 which is applied towards the cost of the License ($200). The balance of the license fee ($180) is due upon application approval.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *